H.U.N.T.S Course - Run twice a year
Next course June 2019
The Hunter National Training Scheme (HUNTS) course is delivered by The Southern Lakes New Zealand Deerstalkers Association instructors and is designed to introduce new hunters to the skills needed to hunt below the snowline.
Experienced hunters may find value in some sections of the course. A Firearms licence is not necessary. This is ideal for anyone wishing to learn about hunting.
- Essential bush skills
- River safety
- Firearm safety in a hunting context
- Practical shooting and hunting ballistics
- Hunting techniques
- Species knowledge
- Game utilization (skinning, butchering, etc)
Participants must have a reasonable level of physical fitness and access to personal tramping equipment.
Cost per person $250.00 (Incl GST),
- HUNTS Manual
- Hunting trip travel & accommodation (food not included)
- NZDA membership
7:30pm At Frankton Fire station (please park on road not in firestation)
- Course outlined and objectives
- Fill in applications etc
- Collection of Moneys.
8.30am At Frankton Fire station
- Module 1 ; Ethical and environmental responsibilities.
- Module 2 ; Game animal species, specific to our area, where to hunt and find.(DOC map and permit)
- Module 3 ; Map use, GPS, Compass.
- Module 4 ; Firearms selection/ Types/calibres/safety
- Module 5; Hunting and shooting techniques.
- Module 6 ; Meat/ Skins/ Trophies ( DS )
- End of day
9am At Frankton Fire station
- Module 7 ; Equipment and food
- Module 8 ; Bushcraft ( DVD)
- Module 9 ; Survival/ Trip planning/ risk management. Possible river safety course.
- End of day
Meet at Grey St Car park opposite Ale House/Video Ezy.
- Full day using a range of different firearms
- Firearms safety
- Correcting sights/sighting in
- Use of scopes/open sights
- Firearms maintenance/cleaning
- BBQ lunch – Will supply BBQ/food. Bring Snacks/ drinks etc and a Chair
- Butchery Session ( all going well) hopefully we will get a deer to do this with.
- Bring your own lunch/snacks/drinks
- Perhaps only 1/2 day if all goes well.
Meet at the Grey St Car park 7pm
With all your gear—we will let you know what you will need to bring.
- Travel to destination set up Camp so you may need a tent? ( but might not?)
- Hunt all day ,some bushcraft/ navigation.
- River safety/ River crossing exercise, You WILL get wet!
- Travel Home.
FOR ENQUIRIES PLEASE PHONE
PETE HENDERSON 0204 144 9272
PAUL DAYMAN 027 474 2238