H.U.N.T.S Course - Run twice a year
Due to Covid-19 the course scheduled to run in May is now running in July
Part One - Theory - 18th and 19th July ( Sat and Sun)
Part Two - Range & Butchery - 25th & 26th July (Sat and Sun)
Part Three - Hunting trip - 8th & 9th Aug (Fri night, Sat and Sun)
Part One - Theory - 12th & 13th Sept (Sat and Sun)
Part Two - Range & Butchery - 19th & 20th Sept (Sat and Sun)
Part Three - Hunting trip - date TBC End Sept or early Oct, All weather venue arranged
Next course starts 8th June 2019
The Hunter National Training Scheme (HUNTS) course is delivered by The Southern Lakes New Zealand Deerstalkers Association instructors and is designed to introduce new hunters to the skills needed to hunt below the snowline.
Experienced hunters may find value in some sections of the course. A Firearms licence is not necessary. This is ideal for anyone wishing to learn about hunting.
- Essential bush skills
- River safety
- Firearm safety in a hunting context
- Practical shooting and hunting ballistics
- Hunting techniques
- Species knowledge
- Game utilization (skinning, butchering, etc)
Participants must have a reasonable level of physical fitness and access to personal tramping equipment.
Cost per person $250.00 (Incl GST),
- HUNTS Manual
- Hunting trip travel & accommodation (food not included)
- NZDA membership
Saturday & Sunday (all day)
Start time will depend on numbers - either 8am or noon
At Frankton Fire station* (please park on road not in the fire station)
- Course outlined and objectives
- Fill in applications etc
- Module 1 ; Ethical and environmental responsibilities.
- Module 2 ; Game animal species, specific to our area, where to hunt and find.(DOC map and permit)
- Module 3 ; Map use, GPS, Compass.
- Module 4 ; Firearms selection/ Types/calibres/safety
- Module 5; Hunting and shooting techniques.
- Module 6 ; Meat/ Skins/ Trophies ( DS )
- Module 7 ; Equipment and food
- Module 8 ; Bushcraft ( DVD)
- Module 9 ; Survival/ Trip planning/ risk management. Possible river safety course on the Sunday (Weather dependant)
Meet at Grey St Car park opposite Ale House/Video Ezy.
- Full day using a range of different firearms
- Firearms safety
- Correcting sights/sighting in
- Use of scopes/open sights
- Firearms maintenance/cleaning
- BBQ lunch – Will supply BBQ/food. Bring Snacks/ drinks etc and a Chair
- Butchery Session ( all going well) hopefully we will get a deer to do this with.
- Bring your own lunch/snacks/drinks
- Perhaps only 1/2 day if all goes well.
Date to be confirmed due to weather
Meet at the Grey St Car park 7pm
Meet with all your gear—we will let you know what you will need to bring.
- Travel to destination set up camp so you may need a tent?
- Hunt all day ,some bushcraft/ navigation.
- River safety/ River crossing exercise, You WILL get wet!
- Travel Home.
Date to be Confirmed
You will be invited along to the club meeting on successful completion of your course and presented with a certificate
Registration is essential as limited spaces.
If you are not already a member you will also need to complete a membership application form in advance.
(Membership is included in the cost of the course)
How to pay:
1. Prefered method - transfer $250 to the club bank account
Please use HUNTS and your surname as a reference
2. Pay on the day with cash
3. Pay by credit card on the link below
(Note credit cards include a $10 transaction fee)